About six months ago, I posted a big long blog post about all these things I wanted to do before I turned 25. I hit a major milestone in achieving these goals - I turned 24, and now have less than a year to achieve a bunch of these things. And, since it's been 6 months since I publically committed to all these things, I thought I'd do a 6 month round up of what I've done, what I'm doing, what I'm having a hard time with, and what I'm adding (eep!!).
here's what I've done //
- My writing is published! More details on this soon, but I'm checking that baby right off.
- I ran a 5 K! And I'm obnoxiously proud of it! You can read more about that adventure here.
- I bought Blundstones! I love them. I never want them to leave my feet. I want to wear only them always, except during the summer. I recently started fantasizing about fall outfits to wear with those bad boys. Oof.
- Something... new! When I put this on the list in February, I was intentionally vague. I knew something was going to change in regards to my location or work (because long distance is sort of fun and games but also terrible and hard). I thought my location was going to change - and the Lord laughed, and laughed, and laughed, and said, "Hannah, you're staying put." I'm better for it. But that also got changed WAY faster than I thought.
here's what's in process //
- I'm reading the Bible in a year! I am a month and a half behind, so I'm not doing it well, but I'm doing it!
- I'm taking Instagram and Twitter off my phone! I've had no problem taking Twitter off my phone - I love having the silence and not reacting to everything D. Trump tweets, ya know? But Instagram. Dumb Instagram, and dumb Instagram people I like with their great Instgram stories that makes it very hard to have Instagram off my phone. I did it for months! And then summer hit. That being said, I have successfully done three social media free weekends (as demonstrated by Andrea Lucado here & I now want everyone to do it with me) & it has been a far bigger blessing than I can write about here in this lil post.
- I'm finding new music! I make a point of listening to the Spotify Discover Weekly playlists, but also love suggestions (big shout out to the last person that commented on a blog post suggesting music - I'm still going through it!) Favourites I've found recently include an acoustic cover of Cotton Eyed Joe (you need to find this on Spotify & you're welcome), new music from my sister (shameless plug but I don't care SHE IS SO TALENTED), and a song from Nichole Nordeman that made me cry the first time I heard it (and the rest of the day, when I left it on repeat.)
- I'm reading 1 book a week! I'm actually doing really well on this, and have been tracking my progress on Goodreads. I may have to up the goal! (That being said, I've gotten VERY into the Pretty Little Liars TV show and my reading has basically been halted in the endless pursuit of WHO THE HECK IS A). Some of my favourite books from the last few months have been: Seeking Refuge: On the Shores of the Global Refugee Crisis; God on Mute; The Road Back to You (please, someone, talk Enneagram to me so my roommate doesn't have to listen), Small Great Things, and At Home in the World.
- I'm cooking - sort of! I did a failed experiment in Whole30 in June & July, and I also moved in June - to a lovely home with an excellent kitchen. Since then, I've been cooking a lot more. Largely because SUGAR IS THE DEVIL AND IT IS IN EVERYTHING GOOD, and also because of this next in progress thing. . .
- I'm giving up spending for 6 months! "What, Hannah, that's so intense? Live a little!" may be what you're thinking. But let me be real with you: I do best when it is an all or nothing challenge, and this is one area of my life I have to get control of. I also want to live my life in the disciplined pursuit of intentionality & just less stuff, overall. My goal is to have less than 10 vendors on my bank statement at the end of each month, so we'll see how it goes!
here's what I'm having a hard time with //
- I'm so bad at sending snail mail! I am SO terrible at this. I send a couple of cards once a month, at best, and it's just not great. I want to explore some habit stacking techniques. If we're counting work, though, I'm killing this - I send about ten pieces of snail mail a week! (Work does not count.)
- I am not blogging more regularly! Well, I wasn't blogging regularly. I tell myself two main lies: no one wants to hear what I have to say & I don't have time to write. To that, I tell myself two things. One - I write for myself because if I didn't, I'd probably implode & explode at the same time. And if one person gets one nugget of truth from me sharing my word vomit, then that's all I need. Two - If I have time to scroll through Pinterest and the Instagram explore feed, I have time to sit down and write. (I also set up a calendar where I schedule out when I'm writing about what. It's been two weeks, but I like it so far.
- I'm not shutting up and I'm not spiritually disciplining myself! Suggestions? Books to read? Tips on how to become a better listener and a better disciplined person? Let me know because I am feeling STUCK on this one.
here's what I'm adding //
First - a word. I don't know if I'm supposed to be adding things, but I finished some big things on this list and wanted some specific new things to add in for my 24th year. I didn't take anything off the list, but I'm considering these to be extra challenges - extra ways to pursue excellence & what I'm passionate about for the next year. And if I'm not allowed to add things, I say whatever, it's my list, I do what I want.
- I'm writing for a certain amount of time every day! I've started off with just 5 minutes, with the intention of writing for a little bit longer every month. I'mma just work my way up. I will sticker chart my way to victory on this one if I have to.
- I'm going to regularly attend an exercise class! Thank you, YMCA, for being so close and for making AquaZumba & Yoga so cheap and so fun.
- I'm going back to counselling. I hesitated sharing this one, but I think it's important to say so I'm sneaking it in at the very bottom. (; If I can be a little vulnerable for a moment: December was really, really hard. It was very cold in Edmonton, I was not with my family, friends, or a community that knew my weird family history well, and the rug had been ripped out from under me. So, this is me, taking a giant step in dealing with what happened in December, but also dealing with the last 24 years of weird family stuff that made me into who I am today, and balancing how some of the worst stuff gave me the best gifts.
- I'm going to celebrate my 25th birthday. Maybe some of this will be unpacked in therapy, but I am not a huge enthusiast of my birthday. I used to be - obnoxiously so - but as I grew up, it was a reminder of broken promises, being carted between two parents, and it felt easier to count on people for disappointment than for actually showing up (looking at you, Dad). But there's something to be said for letting others care about you and celebrate you, instead of being sure that they will disappoint you. Also, I'm a little bit of a control freak, and I think (okay, I know) that not letting others care about me is controlling how people love me, and that is not great. So - I'mma throw a party, or go on adventure with friends, and I'm not going to dance around it or give coy answers to when my birthday is. Here's to living with the expectation of celebration and good things.